There are numerous different ways to learn English in the comfort of your own home; use this advice to make the most out of your virtual learning experience. Explore these practical tips for learning English online:
- Establish a learning routine – it doesn’t need to include extended periods; the routine could be 30 minutes of reading English online in the morning and ten minutes of listening in the evening.
- Take regular brain breaks; if you are tired and de-energised, take a break, have a stretch, go for a walk or go and get a drink and something to eat.
- Have a clear plan on what you are going to study in the allotted time, it is very easy to waste time looking for things to learn or review.
- Set achievable goals and be realistic about what you can achieve in a particular timeframe. Setting realistic goals will help you stay motivated and focused.
- Consider your workspace, try and sit at a desk and pay attention to your posture; if you are uncomfortable or sitting in the wrong position, it can affect your learning and motivation.
- Try and reduce distractions as much as possible; it can be challenging to stay focused in a noisy room with many other things going on.
- Try and keep a vocabulary notebook, a place where you can make a note of new words and have a record of them. This is a good study skill habit; there is no set way to write it; it is your choice; you may want to write the word down, write the translation in your native language, draw a picture or even write down a similar word.
- Have an online dictionary open on your computer; this can be useful to help you look up a word quickly and efficiently.
- Use the Pomodoro technique – the Pomodoro technique can help you achieve tasks in a specific amount of time. Think of a goal you want to accomplish in twenty minutes, set the alarm and stay consistent at working during those twenty minutes; when the twenty minutes are up, have a brain break, get up, move around or have lunch, and then try and do another pomodoro of twenty minutes. This does not work for everyone, but it can be an effective method to use your time wisely and a helpful study skill strategy.
There are some exciting new titles in the Penguin Readers range. Discover some of the new books and use these activities to support your English language learning.
Remember, studying online can be really effective but remember to take regular brain breaks!